Published: 2 May 2019

Reading time: About 3 minutes

You may have heard of Marie Kondo. Recently propelled to international fame by her show on Netflix, she is fast becoming a cultural phenomenon for her organisational skills and simple approach to living.

The ‘KonMari’ method, as it’s known, comes from her best-selling book and TV series, ‘The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up’. The idea is that de-cluttering and organising the things we own can bring structure and contentment to our lives.

Of course, it sounds great for your well-being, but it led us to think, can that same approach be applied to organisations and their masses and masses of data?

In this blog we look at Marie Kondo’s 4-stage method of discard, find joy, create order and find a designated space, and how it could help your organisation enhance its data management.

  • Discard

Data cleansing can seem like a momentous undertaking. Often, organisations are unsure what data they have, what data they are required to keep, and what data they could delete or archive. Duplicate, redundant, obsolete and trivial files (DROT) can act as debris within data sets, making it hard to see the business value of your information.  Once the DROT has been identified and cleansed, then organisations can begin to focus on the valuable data.

  • Find joy

On average up to 80% of unstructured data is DROT so that leaves just 20% of business critical information- the vital information that matters most to your business.  Not only will reducing the amount of DROT you hold substantially cut the cost of storage, it will also improve the quality of data for everyone in your organisation. Clearer insight can provide teams with an enhanced understanding of trends, opportunities and any governance and compliance risks. This, of course, results in better decision-making capabilities and offers competitive advantage – finding the joy in your own corporate data.

  • Create order

What does order mean for data? In this context, creating order means organising, classifying, consolidating and applying information governance across multiple data sources. Use software in which classifications and policies are automatically applied to data, making legal and reputational risks much lower.

  • Designated space

Once you have understood, cleansed and classified data, what is the end destination for this business information? Many organisations nowadays have a “Cloud First” approach. Moving to a Cloud-based solution such as Office 365 offers many advantages such as collaboration, productivity and the ability to work from anywhere, as well as the advanced security features that come with being on a Microsoft platform.

As outlined, there are many benefits of applying the KonMari method to big data, including increasing compliance and productivity whilst reducing risks and costs.

Our data management platform, AI.DATALIFT, offers services including data insights, data cleansing, data governance and data migration – find the joy and structure in your business information with Automated Intelligence.

For more information, contact us today on